Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Speechless

Today I sit here stunned. This morning was a morning of chaos and craziness for a friend of mine. I cannot imagine what she is going through right now. She woke up this morning to find her husband had passed away during the night. It just boggles my mind. There's so many things going through my head right now. No, I wasn't that close with him, however, I feel I am close to one of his daughters. All I want to do is hug her and not let go, but I cannot right now. The time will come and she'll be within arms reach for that hug, as will her mom and two other sisters.

I have been so amazed at how the news has traveled so quickly. I have been contacted by 5 different people, but find that a family that recently moved to Africa knows already. I am so greatful for the kingdom of God.

This is a man who lived his life following Jesus. He was a wise man that will be missed by more than I can even imagine. I hope to attend his services later this week.

The goal... to leave the legacy as he has... following God. Walking the walk of a true disciple of Jesus.

So it brings me to a song, which was sung recently at church:

Legacy by Nichole Nordeman
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
And you can take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all the "who's who's" and so-and-so's
That used to be the best at such and such
It wouldn't matter much
I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an "atta boy" or "atta girl"
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this worldI want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soonenough destroy
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
Not well-traveled, not well-read
Not well-to-do, or well-bredI just want to hear instead
Well done, good and faithful one
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace
Who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me

So when I hear these words sung http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbi4nSrhRxo I wonder... have I done enough? Have I lived the life that God wants me to live? Am I being the Christian that He wants me to be?

I know I cannot answer these questions. I am doing the best that I can as I'm sure my friend who passed did. I will know one day... I hope to hear "Well done" from the one and only true GOD!

No comments: